Hollywood heartthrob, and everyone’s favourite actor Johnny Depp turns 52 today (June 9). Depp is undeniably one of the most celebrated stars in Hollywood with a career that has spanned 31 years and a repertoire of more than 58 movies! In honour of his birthday we’ve collected together some of our favourite funny video clips, plus listed our top 5 must-see movies.
Depp is currently shooting in Australia for the much-anticipated Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - but who knows how much longer he will continue acting. He said recently, “When you add up the amount of dialogue that you say per year and you realise that you’ve said written words more than you’ve had a chance to say your own words, you start thinking about that as an insane option for a human being.”
Before we launch into our funny video clips, here are some random fun facts that you might not know about the actor:
- He was a Guiness World Record Holder in 2012 for being the highest paid actor (75 million dollars).
- Depp’s most famous role has to be Captain Jack Sparrow in Pirates of the Caribbean. While shooting the first film he almost got fired because executives at Disney didn’t like, or couldn’t understand, his portrayal of Jack Sparrow. Of course, it’s now one of Disney’s most successful film series, and mainly because of Depp. He based his portrayal of the pirate on his personal idol, Rolling Stones rocker Keith Richards. How amazing that the two ended up as father and son on the screen, in the same movie!
- Once he was nearly mugged but the mugger recognised him and said: “I ain’t stealing from Captain Jack” and backed off. Depp, being the charitable chap that he is, gave him some money anyway.
- He played Willy Wonka in Tim Burton’s adaptation of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, yet as a child he was allergic to chocolate!
- Whist filming Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in Wisconsin he met a 12 year old boy named Jack Taylor and promised to send him his hat when he had finished filming, as the boy said how much he liked it. He kept his promise and not only sent the boy the hat, but loads of other Charlie and the Chocolate Factory goodies as well. The note read: “Here is a hat for you. Hope you like this and assorted fun bits.”
- A fossil has been named after him! - a 505 million-year-old fossil to be precise! British scientist and fan of Depp, David Legg, named the fossil after Depp because it reminded him of the appearance of Edward Scissorhands with large scissor-like claws, it could have been an ancestor of the scorpion or lobster. He named it Kooteninchela deppi where the genus name, Kootenichela, includes the reference to this film, as ‘chela’ is Latin for claws or scissors and deppi for Depp!
- He owns three homes, a vineyard in France, co-owns a French restaurant-bar Man Ray along with Sean Penn, John Malkovich and Mick Hucknall
- He was voted as one of the 50 Most Beautiful People by People Magazine, not just once but twice!
- He’s never won an Oscar, despite being nominated 3 times! He has however won the Golden Globe Award for his outstanding performance in Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, and Screen Actors Guild award for Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, in 2004.
- He has recently become the face of a new scent for Dior, joining a long line of stars who have done the same thing (Charlize Theron, Natalie Portman, Jennifer Lawrence).
- He’s done with alcohol and has gone vegan - which leads us to our first favourite clip of Depp - the remix of....
Why has the Rum Gone? (tap on any title to play in C5)
JOHNNY DEPP - TOP MUST-SEE MOVIES